Members Registration $4.99

==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
A network cable is not properly plugged in or may be broken error?
01-21-2013, 10:19 AM
A network cable is not properly plugged in or may be broken error?
hey,

my wireless internet connection keeps dropping out becouse a network cable is unplugged.
since i have a WIRELESS connection and thus no cable plugged in this is a very annoying thing.
my internet drops out randomly, without warning. it's very anoying and would like this to be resolved.
some more details if needed: i run windows 7 home premium edition. ask away if you need more details.

i've seen that this question was asked earier, however some people didn't understand that that guy as well was having unplugged cable errors with WIRELESS internet.

if you dont understand that i have a wireless connection with cable problems (see how this is odd), please do not comment...

thank you for your time and effort,

regards, vincent
Can you quote the error exactly, and tell us where this error is showing up? It sounds like you are having a problem with your signal strength but I can not be sure.
Follow each step until it starts working.

exact error is: a network cable is not properly plugged or may be broken.
as far as i know its not due to signal strength, because whatever the distance to my router, the problem persists.

1. Try using a different device. If the second device does fine then the problem is with the first device, and not the wireless network.

other computers in the house (on the same router) work just fine, without any problems.

2. Go to your router. Look at the ethernet cable plugged into the port labeled "internet". Does it look frayed. Give it a little pull. Does it feel loose? If either of those is a yes then try replacing the ethernet cable.

done, seems to be just fine, also reset the router.

3. Sit right next to your router and see if the WiFi problem persists. If this solves th

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-21-2013, 12:37 PM

Can you quote the error exactly, and tell us where this error is showing up? It sounds like you are having a problem with your signal strength but I can not be sure.
Follow each step until it starts working.
1. Try using a different device. If the second device does fine then the problem is with the first device, and not the wireless network.
2. Go to your router. Look at the ethernet cable plugged into the port labeled "internet". Does it look frayed. Give it a little pull. Does it feel loose? If either of those is a yes then try replacing the ethernet cable.
3. Sit right next to your router and see if the WiFi problem persists. If this solves the problem then you have a signal strength problem and need a new antenna.

If you can give some more details I'll try to give you more troubleshooting steps. Good luck.
01-21-2013, 05:59 PM

Your computer has two network interface devices you can see them in device manager under "network adapters" and in your network settings.

1.) Ethernet Adapter - Used for cabled connections.
2.) Wireless Adapter - Used for WiFi connections.

The message "network cable is unplugged" is for your Ethernet adapter and is normal since you don't have a Ethernet cable plugged into the adapter.

Your other network adapter is your wireless one. This is the one you need to be concerned with.

My best guess would be that you are using a weak wireless connection and it is intermittently dropping out. Wireless signals are affected by many factors including wall density, electrical interference, directional antenna range, etc. By nature, interference in wireless systems causes problems with smooth, consistent speeds.

The best solution would be to use a direct Ethernet connection from your computer to your router.

If it is not feasible to run cables you have other options such as powerline network adapters You plug one in by the router and one in the room where you need access and connect them to the devices with standard Ethernet patch cables. http://isp1.us/reviews/netgear-xavb2101-...e-adapter/

The network signals are transmitted over your existing electrical wiring which will not be affected by wireless interference.

If you need the wireless mobility but have a poor signal, devices such as wireless extenders can expand your wireless range. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004YAY...B004YAYM06

The wireless range extender receives weak wireless signals and repeats them to extend the signal range to greater distances. Some models include 4 Ethernet ports in addition to the wireless radio.

Good Luck...
01-22-2013, 12:23 AM

Maybe you should check the router which creates the wireless in the first place? Try restarting both it and the wireless router, unplug them for 15 minutes or so. If it doesn't help, call a professional who deals with your internet connection. I had the same problem last year, it really pissed me off, but a professional guy handled it.