Members Registration $4.99

==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Is NSHSS worth joining or is it just a scam?
07-17-2012, 09:27 PM
Is NSHSS worth joining or is it just a scam?
I recieved a letter today, and i was just wondering if i should join.. or is it fake and if you do join what are you supposed to do ?

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-18-2012, 12:29 AM

Hey Juliana, I just got my letter today too. I found a forum after searching it on google, and I don't think it's necessarily a scam. It's not especially prestigious, apparently. Only a 3.5 or 4 on an AP test is required to be invited, which is not what I'd consider competitive. It does offer some opportunities, like scholarships, conventions, and special events like field trips. It also is pretty legitimate for when you apply to college. Every organization helps, as I'm sure you know. It's also a lifetime membership, and apparently you get special opportunities later on too, like presidential inaugurations, etc.
Whether you accept the invite or not is up to you and if you think the $60 or whatever is worth what you get in the end. There's both positive and negative feedback, but I think it's at least safe to say its a legitimate organization.
07-18-2012, 02:24 AM

I just got a letter too and did a bit a research earlier today. From what I found, it seems to most certainly be a scam. The company is real and according to law it isn't a scam, but realistically, it is a huge scam.

So the main things you get from joining this is something to put on an application and a chance for a scholarship. However, because of the way NSHSS seems to run it, neither are worth it in the least. Let me explain.

The first important thing is how you get picked to join this group. It seems to be based on PSAT scores, but I'm not sure (a real group should tell you up front why you were qualified/invited). I've also heard a lot of people who got invited despite doing horribly on the PSATs. Even if there were high qualifications, it won't help on college applications. Here's why: the only difference between a NSHSS member and a non-NSHSS member is the fact that the members all paid sixty bucks to some company. Literally. Any information that NSHSS could have gotten about you in order to decide to invite you will be on your application anyways. That information about you and the money you pay are the only qualifications.

Here's a post I found on a forum (post # 72)

"This is DEFNITELY a scam. Here's Why :
The letter I received says that membership is based on "outstanding academic achievment"

Now I didn't doubt that lol but when I looked at the front where they spelt my last name, they spelled it WRONGLY in the exact same way they spelt in wrongly on my PSAT score results.

LITERALLY, I LIKE FAILED THE PSATS (I DIDNT EVEN FINISH THEM)

THUS, HOW CAN AN ORGANIZATION CLAIM IT SELECTS YOU BASED ON ACADEMIC ACHIEVMENTS when they sent this out as a result of my PSAT Exam WHICH WAS DEFENITIELY NOT OUTSTANDING OR EVEN CLOSE!

You've been warned."

The second thing to consider is scholarships. I'll start by saying that you shouldn't have to pay for a scholarship, so if you do go for a scholarship that you have to pay for to try and get in, it is basically the lottery. Also, it would seem that they are holding a LOT of money back for themselves. I found this stuff on another post:

"I read this while looking on the internet: They claim 120,000 members. If they all paid ONLY the $45 "new member fee" then the
organization has taken in 5.4 MILLION in four years. For 2006 they handed out $150K in scholarships. They gave out MUCH less in scholarships in previous years. For a SCAMMER who gets 5.4 MILLION PLUS, paying out $300K in scholarships to "appear legitimate" would be well worth it!

So basically, you pay a fee to get a meaningless honor. You are buying a lottery ticket chance at getting a scholarship."

Another thing to consider is the fact that it seems like they send out these letters at the time of year where you aren't in school. And you're still not back in school by time you have to send in your acceptance. No time to ask your counselor if it's legit? I don't think that was an accident. There was also something about the name "Nobel" being used was misleading, but I don't remember exactly what. They were smart scammers putting all of this together, but a scam is still a scam,

Don't fall for it.
07-18-2012, 06:24 AM

I got the letter today. & it's not a scam its just not worth it. It's not something that colleges will be looking for so, forget it.